Monday 22 November 2010

Edit...

I bang out a creation
and then store it in my filing system
a copy is saved on my laptop
backed up on my usb stick
lastly printed and archived in my memories box in the loft

I enter it into a competion
'Poems on Politics' in the paper
I edit it to hit the word count
tailor it to fit my previous works
shape it into the times roman font, into size 12 colour black

I win the competition and im invited to perform it
at an event at the local library
I read it aloud in my local dialect
cover key words and popular political topics
it soon become part of my repertoire

I then construct a dozen simliar poems
and a number of publishers show a vested interest
I choose the most widely known publisher
so that I can reach the most ammount of people
my book sells in the thousands and is nominated as
the 'best poetry collection of the year'

I peform the collection all over the country
do a number of radio appearances a couple of TV shows
people come up to me in the street and greet me
as if Im part of their family
and my newly found celebrity resulted in a spot on the
royal variety performance.

In a hundered years time students will still study my syntax
they will be forced to relate my ryhtmms to the zeitgiest of the times
my use of ryhme will be understood as representitive of
the repetivity and banality of the 'information age'

All the while the students will be ignorant of my admissions:
the filing system emptied
the laptop outdated and bugged
the only copy left in the memories box in the loft.
decaying, forgot.

As the creation itself intended?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.